Update on Last Year's Acorns

If you have followed me for a while on Facebook you may remember these...


The German glass glitter acorns.

If you haven't followed me on Facebook, here's the quick back story. We have a tree in our front yard that my parents planted when they owned the house. It's a type of red oak and has grown to be massive. So big that the most common response when I'm giving directions to our house is "Your house is the one with the massive tree? I LOVE that tree!"


Here's the thing about red oaks...they make acorns, lots of acorns. My dad would research if there was a market for acorns, he knew there was a gold mine sitting on his front yard.

Flash forward to fall of last year. My husband is losing his mind over the acorns all over the yard. My youngest decided to help dad out and collect as many as she could. She would collect bags full of them and bring them in for me. I was looking for something new to use my brand new German glass glitter on and grabbed a few and got to work covering them with glue and glitter. 

I snapped a few photos and put a photo on Facebook and people loved them. They loved them so much it even got me an invite to our local news station to share how I made them on a mid-day show for moms. And I may or may not have had a few day dreams about becoming the newest Texas millionaire off of glitter acorns.

I had my game plan set for this year and had the girls ready to collect them as soon as they saw them. So far this year I have made...

Zero...
Nada...
Zilch...

An interesting fact about red oaks, they will work their way up to record numbers of acorns and then take a year or two off. We have not seen a single acorn. It doesn't sound like my husband is mowing a field of rocks. And we have some very sickly squirrels hanging around waiting for their winter stockpile.

No comments:

Post a Comment